Four lighthouses remain in Pennsylvania, and Lake Erie is home to three. In 1818, Old Presque Isle Light became the first United States lighthouse built on the lake's shore. But a need for even more navigational assistance gave birth to the North Pierhead Lighthouse forty years later. The Presque Isle Light Station first shined on Lake Erie in July 1873. Thanks to the guidance from these landmarks, Erie's port is one of the busiest in the Great Lakes. Author Eugene Ware offers an edifying history of Erie Harbor lights.