The Art Institute of Pittsburgh details the often eccentric history of this unforgettable school.
In the early 1920s, a young Pittsburgh artist and designer, Willis Dresdale Shook, recognized the need for a two-year course in commercial art. Within two years, the name changed to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. On October 1, 1921, the Artist's League of Pittsburgh held its first class of nine students in one room of the Fulton Building. Almost 90 years later, Shook's vision has grown to a community of more than 13,000 students and alumni of over 55,000 making their mark on the art, design, advertising, motion picture, entertainment, business, fashion, and culinary industries worldwide. The Art Institute of Pittsburgh inspires pride in the accomplishments of students, faculty, and alumni, along with chuckles at the outrageous memories that define the school's unmistakable essence and personality.